Sunday, January 1, 2017

A study I found, about remission of MS, after a Liver Transplant

Please note that personally I absolutely would never get a liver transplant, or suggest that anyone else get one, unless alternative therapies like my husband used, have been exhausted. If you want to know why I am against liver transplants... I wrote some posts about this topic. My husband was able to reverse cirrhosis thanks to alternative therapies, and I believe most people can greatly improve their liver health with these same therapies. True, this is my opinion, but my VERY STRONG OPINION.

 
 But that aside, I am making this page because I can't help but believe there could be a strong connection between liver health and MS.

Can J Neurol Sci. 2004 Nov;31(4):539-41.

Remission of multiple sclerosis post-liver transplantation.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The effect of liver transplantation on pre-existing multiple sclerosis (MS) has never been reported. We report the three year post-transplant neurological outcome of a patient with MS.

CASE REPORT:

A Caucasian woman with MS received an urgent liver transplant for fulminant liver failure at the age of 59. Her Extended Disability Scale Score (EDSS) pretransplant was 5.0 and clinically she had cerebellar and brainstem dysfunction. Post-transplant immunosuppression consisted of tacrolimus, mycophenolate mofetil and tapering corticosteroids that were discontinued after 1.5 years. Post-transplant her EDSS decreased to 2.0 and after three years she is clinically asymptomatic with only very mild dysarthria on neurologic examination. Long-term maintenance immunosuppression consists of low dose tacrolimus.

CONCLUSIONS:

Combination immunosuppression with tacrolimus may have a beneficial effect on MS although an effect of donor allograft itself can not be excluded.
PMID:
15595263
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

No comments:

Post a Comment